    SubjectRe: comments on CML 1.1.0
    Marko Kreen <marko@l-t.ee>:
    > Using CML2 1.1.0 'menuconfig' on clean 2.4.3 (mach is PPro 180)
    >
    > Suggestions:
    >
    > * the 'N' should be shown as ' ' as in menuconfig - it is
    > visually much better to get overview of whole screenful.
    > 'Y'/'M' and 'N' are basically of 'same size' so you must look
    > directly on letter to understand what it is - not good.

    I've gone this one better. It's now "Y", "m", " ", so the m and y

    > * the menuconfig had nice shortcut: when you pressed 'm' on
    > [YN] field, it put 'y' there without questions. So you could
    > use only 2 keys to configure one screen: 'n/m'. this meant
    > you did not need to move fingers around and think about it
    > so much - big thing when you are not touch-typer...

    Implemented.

    > * the colors are hard to see (red/blue on black). Probably
    > matter of terminal settings. I do not have any productive
    > ideas tho... Probably to get best experience to as much
    > people as possible the less colors are used the better.
    >
    > The 'blue: last visited submenu' is unnecessary. Especially
    > because it later turns green... And the 'red' vs. 'green'
    > thing. I guess the green should be used for 'visited entries'
    > too. Now the red means like 'Doh. So I should not have
    > touched this?'. Confusing.
    >
    > In other words: if there are too much colors, they become
    > a thing that should be separately learned, not a helpful
    > aid.
    >
    > All this IMHO ofcourse. Colors are 'matter of taste' thing
    > so there probably is not exact Rigth Thing.

    You make good points. In the 1.1.1, blue and yellow/brown will be gone;
    it's just green for everything visited.

    > Bugs/complaints:
    >
    > * aic7xxx is not updated (defaults: are 8/5 should be 253/5000)
    > (this from arch/i386/defconfig maybe?)

    Fixed.

    > * 'IDE chipset support' nesting is very confusing - compare
    > to menuconfig. I would say even 'wrong'...
    > (eg. 'PIIXn tuning' is is under 'PIIXn support' which is not
    > under 'ATA works in progress'.

    Rules-file patches will be cheerfully accepted.

    > * screen is redrawn after _every_ keystroke - not only in moving
    > around, but even when you are on input field...

    I know. The workaround is to use gnome-term, which for some reason
    doesn't show this. It's tops on my longer-term to-do list.

    > * input field: when there is some default and I start typing it
    > should either clear it or append.

    On my to-do list.

    The men and women who founded our country knew, by experience, that there
    are times when the free person's answer to oppressive government has to be
    delivered with a bullet. Thus, the right to bear arms is not just *a*
    freedom; it's the mother of all freedoms. Don't let them disarm you!