SubjectRe: [RFC] Ext2 Directory Index - File Structure
Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > > ls already can't handle the directories I'm working with on a regular
> > > basis. It's broken and needs to be fixed. A merge sort using log n
> > > temporary files is not hard to write.
> >
> > ls -U | sort
> >
> > should do the trick.
>
> Um, yep. Now ls should do that itself instead of giving up with an error.

Sorting 1 million 30-character strings does not require temporary files
on a machine with > 35 MB anyway, and that can be virtual, so if anyone
cares about ls sorting huge directories I suggest improving the
in-memory sort.
cheers,
-- Jamie

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans