SubjectRe: Asynchronous io
Hi CJ,
you should really read the thread titled "Linux's implementation of
poll() not scalable?" in the LKML archives, here is a link:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0010.3/0003.html
There are many problems with the /dev/something interface for events and
all is described in that thread.

I have worked on a way suggested by Linus to get rid of the hit in
performance when using select() and poll(). I have a working model for
TCP sockets (as that is what I wanted to speed up - a TCP based proxy).
My implementation is still in alpha but is available here:
http://www.jukie.net/~bart/kernel/fdevent/

Now, before anyone gets to excited... I spoke with Linus about this and
he suggested that I speak with Ben LaHaise who is working on async io
using some modifications to the wail queue. I have send him mail but have
not heard from Ben - I guess he must be as busy as the rest of us with a
full mailbox of messages that he has no time to reply to. :)

My implementation introduces two new system calls: bind_event and
get_events (as descibed in Linus' email above). The project is still in
an alpha stage so I don't have any benchmarks. I am working on this at my
own time so progress is moving at a slow pace... unfortunately.

Regards,
Bart.

WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/