SubjectRe: Kernel 2.4.3 Crash - (Kernel BUG at highmem.c:155)
I also have seen the Kernel BUG at highmem.c:155 problem on a machine
I am testing. It is a Dell 8 processor P-III 700Mhz with 8GB of
memory and Linux 2.4.3 + a knfsd and quota patch for reiserfs. When
doing 5 simultaneous kernel compiles from another machine mounting the
8 processor one over nfs the 8 processor machine hung with an error
message somewhat like

nfsd: terminating on signal 2
kernel BUG at highmem.c: 155!
invalid operand: 0000
CPU: 6

I apologize for the nearly useless error information, but I am 5000
miles and 7 time zones away from this machine, so I have to depend on
others for getting me on console information until I can get it moved
over to a serial console.

>Occassional lockups lasting 5-20 seconds were experienced when working on the
>box under 2.4.2 but seem to be much better in 2.4.3.

The machine is also having these odd lockup problems under intense
disk IO, but I will detail that in another message (look for "kswapd,
kupdated, and bdflush at 99%").

Any advice to alleviate this problem would be appreciated, and I will
provide any more information I can upon request.

--
Thanks,
Jeff Lessem.