SubjectRe: bug database braindump from the kernel summit
Jeff, if the sysadmin had anything to do with setting up the box I would
agree with you, but there are cases where one person will boot a machine
and another will then need to find out what is going on.

I have seen systems with multiple kernels available on boot get booted
from the wrong kernel

I've also seen a machine running for years without being touched and then
a sysadmin is hired and has to work on it, how should they know what the
config was?

/proc/config may be bloat, but we do need a way for the kernel config to
be tied to the kernel image that is running, however it is made available.

David Lang

On Sun, 1 Apr
2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> If a sysadmin (note I don't say "user") has no clue what his kernel
> config is, or has no clue what kernel is running on his box, then
> they should be fired before the day is out.
>
> Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.107 / U:0.240 seconds]