SubjectRe: Ramdisk (and other) problems with 2.4.2
On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > > Hmmm.. no problem here.
>
> I think I've figured it out.. at least I've found a way to reproduce
> the exact errors to the last detail and some pretty nasty corruption
> to go with it. The operator must help though.. a lot ;-)
>
> If you do mount -o remount /dev/somedisk / thinking that that will get
> rid of your /dev/ram0 root, that isn't the case, and you will corrupt
> the device you remounted (I did it to a scratch monkey) very badly when
> you write to the still mounted ramdisk.
>
> You must exec a shell (or something) chrooted to your mounted harddisk
> to un-busy the old root and then pivot_root/unmount that old root. I
> tested this, and all is well.
>
> I think this is a consequence of the multiple mount changes.. not sure.
> (ergo cc to Al Viro.. he knows eeeeverything about mount points)
>
> -Mike

Well. You did discover something. When the new root gets mounted
upon startup, all references to the original ramdisk root should
have been gone. It is well known that the original ramdisk-root
remains, mounted under /initrd if this directory exists. Writes
to (or even destruction of) this file-system, hanging off a mount
point should not have affected the parent mount point or the
parent file-system. However, as you and I have found, it does.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.112 / U:0.116 seconds]