    SubjectRe: Microsoft ZERO Sector Virus, Result of Taskfile WAR
    On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > > But I might want to do this (write sector 0), why would we want
    > > to filter that? If someone a) uses an email client that will execute
    > > java script code (or whatever) and b) runs that as root (which
    > > he would have to do, surely no ordinary user has privileges to send
    > > arbitrary commands) then he gets what he deserves.
    > Jens we are not going there....the filter is the only way known to jam
    > unknown commands,

    Erm... the hoax "virus" was about writing to the first sector of the disk,
    overriding the partition table. If "write data" is an "unknown command",
    HTF am I supposed to store data on my HDD? :P

    > and you missed the point of the issue then and I think you still miss
    > it. "arbitrary commands" + wrong hander is lock-up. Everyone can do
    > this, and that is fine. I will not stop the drive-command ioctl from
    > issuing a drive-data command, you win!

    Hrm. I like the idea of being able to filter out dodgy commands from
    hitting the drive: there's a difference between the Unix philosophy of
    "enough rope" and the NT approach of everything having a landmine on top
    with a big red button marked "press this and see!" :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.035 / U:39.876 seconds]