SubjectRe: VFS: Cannot open root device
From

[Jeremy Jackson]
> try command 'man mkinitrd' under redhat for hints about initial
> ramdisk.

I have been puzzled about this for quite some time. Why exactly does
everyone always recommend using 'mkinitrd' on Red Hat systems? It
seems to me that if you are compiling a kernel for a specific server
anyway, it is a much more reliable proposition to just compile in
whatever drivers you need to boot.

initrd's are inherently clumsy and fragile, to my way of thinking.
I've always thought they should only be used to support diverse or
unknown hardware, or odd cases like crypto loopback root. Are there
other advantages to 'mkinitrd' in the case of a custom kernel for a
single machine?

Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.044 / U:0.256 seconds]