SubjectRe: Inadequate documentation: sockets
Alan Cox wrote:
> > =46inally I'm left with my original problem: how am I supposed to
> > detect a close or a shutdown from the peer? Once again, I thank in
> > advance anyone who will lend me a hand by explaining this to me or
> > by addressing me to more adequate documentation.
> By an EOF on read or getting SIGPIPE/EPIPE on a write. You might want to pick
> up a book on the subject of network programming. There are some very nice ones
> around

As Alan already pointed out, a book on network programming can answer
these questions. I would recommend "UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1:
Networking APIs - Sockets and XTI" by W. Richard Stevens.

Khalid Aziz Linux Development Laboratory
(970)898-9214 Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins, CO