SubjectRe: Kernel is unstable
On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 09:52:35AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

Show me numbers for real applications, and I might care. I saw
barely measurable speedups (and more importantly to me - real
simplification) by removing it.

Do large numbers of entries hurt? I have an application that when
running for a while ends up with over 2000 entries in /proc/$$/maps
because of the way it works... that is paging is more efficient that
the application swapping data out; so it continually grows until it
can no longer at which point it falls back to using it's own poor
LRU, typically means you get a single process of around 2.9GB.

Everything appears to work... but it does seem a bit clunky that
there are so many vma chunks.

Perhaps the argument here is that glibc or the application should be
fixed?

--cw

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans