SubjectRe: IP layer bug?
Hello!

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 09:13:40PM +0400, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> > For now I workarounded it with filling skb->cb with zeroes before
> > netif_rx(),
> This is right. For another examples look into tunnels.
Hm. But comment in linux/skbuff.h says:
/*
* This is the control buffer. It is free to use for every
* layer. Please put your private variables there. If you
* want to keep them across layers you have to do a skb_clone()
* first. This is owned by whoever has the skb queued ATM.
*/
Which does not imply I should clear buffer after I am passing ownership.

> > but I believe it is a kludge and networking layer should be fixed instead.
> No.

> alloc_skb() creates skb with clean cb. ip_rcv() and other protocol handlers
> do not redo this work. If device uses cb internally, it must clear it
> before handing skb to netif_rx().
Why not document it somewhere, so that others will not fall into the same trap?

Bye,
Oleg

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.112 / U:0.328 seconds]