    SubjectRe: linux scheduler limitations?
    Apache uses a pre-fork "threading" mechanism, it spawns (fork()s) new instances
    of itself whenever it finds out that the number of idle "threads" is below a
    certain (configurable) threshold.

    Despite of all apparences this method performs beautifully on Linux, pthreads are
    actually slower in many cases, since you will incur some additional overhead due
    to thread synchronization and scheduling.

    The problem is that beyond a certain number of processes the scheduler just goes
    bananas, or so it seems to me.

    Since Linux threads are mapped on processes, I don't think that (p)threads woud
    help in any way, unless it is the VM context switch overhead that is playing a
    role here, which I wouldn't think is the case.

    - Fabio