SubjectRe: linux scheduler limitations?
"J . A . Magallon" wrote:

> It all depends on your app, as every parallel algorithm. In a web-ftp-whatever
> server, you do not need any synchro. You can start threads in free run and
> let them die alone.

even if you don't need synchronization you pay for it anyway, since you will have
to use the pthread version of libc that is reentrant. Moreover many calls (i.e.
accept) are "scheduling points" for pthreads, whenever you call them the runtime
will perform quite a bit of bookeeping.

it is instructive to use a profiler on your application and see what happens when
you use pthreads...

> You said, 'mapped'.
> AFAIK, that is the advantage, you can avoid the VM switch by sharing memory.

If your application uses lots of memory than I agree, Apache only uses a tiny
amount of RAM per instance though, so I don't think that that is my case.

- Fabio

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.039 / U:3.884 seconds]