SubjectRe: Larger dev_t
Martin Dalecki wrote:

> > devfs -- in the abstract -- really isn't that bad of an idea; after all,
>
> Devfs is from a desing point of view the duplication for the bad /proc
> design for devices. If you need a good design for general device
> handling with names - network interfaces are the thing too look at.
> mount() should be more like a select()... accept()!

And what on earth makes this better? I have always thought the socket
interface to be hideously ugly and full of ad-hockery. Its abstractions
for handle multiple address families by and large don't work, and it
introduces new system calls left, right and center -- sometimes for good
reasons, but please do tell me why I can't open() an AF_UNIX socket, but
have to use a special system call called connect() instead.

-hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt