SubjectRe: Ideas for the oom problem
Date
On Tuesday 27 March 2001 18:52, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, james wrote:
> > Here are my ideas on how too deal with the oom situation,
> >
> > I propose a three prong approach too this problem
>
> Isn't that a bit much for an emergency situation that never
> even occurs on most systems ?
>
> Rik
> --
> Virtual memory is like a game you can't win;
> However, without VM there's truly nothing to lose...
>
> http://www.surriel.com/
> http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com.br/

topic has created. Most of what I propose is not new it was proposed by
others on this list. Prong 1 is pretty much what oom_kill does with some
slight canges and an addition of putting nice tasks too sleep, prong 2 is a
variation of providing resources too root user, along with some resource
accounting information that can be used both in the kernel and userland. If
we don't get the right task, the problem continues too progress,. untill the
right task is found or the system is brought too it knees. Prong three
provides a way too communicate with userland providing what aix does, and
provides some level of being proactive instead of just be reactive where we
have unto now been doing the wrong thing according too other readers of this
list.

james

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.238 / U:0.408 seconds]