SubjectRe: via-rhine driver: wicked 2005 problem
On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 09:08:46AM +0200, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> > [Kernel 2.4.2,
>
> the -ac kernels contain a patch that automatically resets the nic if it
> dies. I've attached my old patch, it applies to 2.4.2.

Your patch works fine for resetting the NIC. There are some a one or two
log messages coming up, but the transfer continues after a small delay.

It doesn't solve the (less urgent) problem of not being able the use the
NIC after a warm boot in M$ Windows. As I said, pulling the power cord from
the ATX power supply and reinserting it, makes it go away.

> > I tried the diagnostic utilities from Donald Becker at Scyld.com,
> > but I don't know what I should be looking for. The text output
> > seems ok to me.
> >
> Could you post the output?
> And a few more lines from your kernel log.

It's rather much to post the the mailing list, I think, so I've put it online
at [http://win-www.uia.ac.be/u/s965817/via-rhine.report/]. If you prefer
otherwise, just tell me. I can always send a tarball of the logs.

Some explanation of the logs:

report: script for creating the device status dumps
hang/: about the "timed out" problem receiving much data
242/: using the default module from 2.4.2 release
before/: device status before the lock, while NIC works well
after/: device status after the lock, during timeout messages
242patch/: using the patched version
before/: device status before the timeout or wicked messages
after/: device status afterwards (NIC keeps working fine)
windoze:/ about the warm-boot-after-windoze problem
winboot/: device info booting after warm boot (problem case)
coldboot/: device info booting after total cold boot (no problem)

Thanks a lot for the patch.

Tung

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans