    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.2 fails to merge mmap areas, 700% slowdown.
    Jakob Østergaard wrote:
    > But the bad case was a garbage collector in GCC. The mmap tricks seem like
    > some you may be inclined to actually use in something like garbage collectors.
    > Are we sure that the developers of all other garbage collectors out there
    > foresaw this problem and didn't do mmap tricks ?

    On this theme, some garbage collectors like to write-protect individual
    pages, to detect which pages are modified between generations. The
    kernel has never handled this especially well. It could be argued that
    mprotect() and signal() aren't the right way to get this information
    though, and it would be better to add a different mechanism.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.019 / U:58.800 seconds]