    SubjectRe: /linuxrc query
    In article <>,
    David Woodhouse <> wrote:
    > said:
    >> Also as a note, what we are doing is keeping our rootfs on flash as a
    >> tar.gz and reading it and mounting it on a ramfs in the /linuxrc
    >> before doing a pivot_root. To summarize, pivot_root has been a life
    >> saver as the earlier real_root_dev might not have been useful in this
    >> case. Not using the ramfs limits for now, will do soon.
    >If you're concerned about memory usage - why untar the whole of your root
    >filesystem into a ramfs? My preferred solution is to just mount the root
    >filesystem directly from the flash as cramfs (or JFFS2), with symlinks into a
    >ramfs for appropriate parts like /tmp and /var.
    >I suppose the best option is actually to union-mount the ramfs over the
    >root, rather than mucking about with symlinks. I just haven't got round to
    >doing that yet.

    Union would be fine. But until then I prefer ramfs as root with symlinks
    to cramfs for anything that doesn't need to be writeable.

    Lineo - For Embedded Linux Solutions _-\<,_
    PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00 (_)/ (_) 88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68
    Stuart Lynne <> 604-461-7532

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.023 / U:128.556 seconds]