    SubjectRe: /linuxrc query
    Date

    amit@muppetlabs.com said:
    > Also as a note, what we are doing is keeping our rootfs on flash as a
    > tar.gz and reading it and mounting it on a ramfs in the /linuxrc
    > before doing a pivot_root. To summarize, pivot_root has been a life
    > saver as the earlier real_root_dev might not have been useful in this
    > case. Not using the ramfs limits for now, will do soon.

    If you're concerned about memory usage - why untar the whole of your root
    filesystem into a ramfs? My preferred solution is to just mount the root
    filesystem directly from the flash as cramfs (or JFFS2), with symlinks into a
    ramfs for appropriate parts like /tmp and /var.

    I suppose the best option is actually to union-mount the ramfs over the
    root, rather than mucking about with symlinks. I just haven't got round to
    doing that yet.

    --
    dwmw2