    SubjectRe: /linuxrc query
    Hi,

    Thanks for the response. PSB,

    Werner Almesberger wrote:

    > Amit D Chaudhary wrote:
    >
    > No, you would continue using the file descriptors which are already
    > open, i.e. on /dev/console on the old root.
    So, makes sense. And the child process that follow will use now the new fd's.

    >> Also, why chroot, why not call init directly?
    >

    > To make sure the root of the current process is indeed changed.
    > pivot_root currently forces a chroot on all processes (except the
    > ones that have explicitly moved out of /) in order to move all the
    > kernel threads too, but this is not a nice solution. Once a better
    > solution is implemented for the kernel threads, we might drop the
    > forced chroot, and then the explicit chroot here becomes important.
    So, it is not a requirement currently but it is useful to have the script not
    dependent on the current pivot_root implementation.

    > You can run them later, e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    > Or, if you needs the space immediately, make "what-follows" a
    > script than first frees them, and then exec's init.
    Sure will put in a script that does it. I had left it in /linuxrc as I thought
    that's what initrd.txt suggested one to do. But other information in the
    initrd.txt mentions otherwise, hence the query here.

    I am assuming umount and thereby blockdev after pivot_script and before "chroot
    . init ..." don't make sense as files(dev/console among others) are\might still
    be in use.

    Best Regards
    Amit

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.021 / U:0.140 seconds]