SubjectRe: regression testing
On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 10:13:04AM -0500, Wade Hampton wrote:
> nbecker@fred.net wrote:
> > Hi. I was wondering if there has been any discussion of kernel
> > regression testing. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to depend
> > on human testers to verify every change didn't break something?
> IMHO, much of the strength of Linux is the very large, extremely
> diverse population of folks using it, testing it, beating on
> the latest release, etc.

The Linux community definately provides the configuration testing that
could never be done in a lab setting. At least one that most companies
could afford.

> However, a lab dedicated to testing the linux kernel, properly
> funded, staffed, and containing the most common hardware and
> software would be a good idea. Does anyone have any idea how
> this could be accomplished? Who could do it? IBM? What would
> it cost to setup a reasonable lab? My guess would be dozens
> of machines of various architectures, a staff of at least 10,
> several thousand square feet of space, and a good budget....
> Any takers?

SGI is working on regression testing for Linux. We have released some
of our tests and utilities under the Linux Test Project. IMHO, a few
hundred tests aren't enough. I need to make another big push with the
tests I've ported over the last few months.

I believe there is some work in the Open Source Development Lab that
some IBMers could comment on. I don't know if there is a web site
detailing their efforts yet.

--
Nate Straz nstraz@sgi.com
sgi, inc http://www.sgi.com/