SubjectRe: VIA audio and parport in 2.4.2
Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:19:35AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > Attempting to pretend that the parallel port is not in an interrupt
> > driven mode by passing irq=none is folly.
>
> No, that's not what it's for. It means 'for Christ sake don't use
> interrupts, I know what I'm doing'.
>
> > If irq=none is passed to tell the Via code to -force- the parallel
> > port into a non-irq-driven mode is one thing. If irq=none is passed
> > to hide a problem with spurious interrupts, we need to fix that
> > problem, not hide it.
>
> irq=none is passed in order to diagnose whether a problem happens on
> only the interrupt-driven path or not. Read the trouble-shooting
> section parport.txt. Understand that there are lots of printing code
> paths nowadays (polling, interrupt-driven, PIO, DMA, etc).
>
> > I still am not convinced that irq=<anything> should affect the Via
> > code at all. Maybe I can print out a message "irq=foo ignored".
>
> Jeff, it needs to. If you want to make irq=auto the default
> (currently it's 'probe only'), then that is an entirely different
> thing.
>
> When the user tells you not to use interrupts, you'd better not.
>
> > Optionally, I could handle irq=none by force-disabling the parallel
> > port's interrupt driven modes, if they are active.
>
> What the hell for? Just don't use the interrupts.
>
> Tim.
> */

Hi, Tim

What is the default anyway? My BIOS is 0x378, 7, 3 and the driver
reports this:

0x378: FIFO is 16 bytes
0x378: writeIntrThreshold is 8
0x378: readIntrThreshold is 8
0x378: PWord is 8 bits
0x378: Interrupts are ISA-Pulses
0x378: possible IRQ conflict! [Don't know why it always reports
this]
0x378: ECP port cfgA=0x10 cfgB=0x00
0x378: ECP settings irq=<none or set by other means> dma=<none or set by
other means>
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, using FIFO
[PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(98)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(98)

With no options in modules.conf, lp0 uses polling; with irq=auto
dma=auto
it uses interrupt-driven but no dma?.