SubjectRe: esound (esd), 2.4.[12] chopped up sound -- solved
David Ford wrote:

> Actually you probably upgraded to a non-broken version of esd. Stock esd -still-
> writes to the socket without regard to return value. If the write only accepted
> 2098 of 4096 bytes, the residual bytes are lost, esd will write the next packet at
> 4097, not 2099. esd is incredibly bad about err checking as is old e stuff.
>
> I posted my last patch for esd here and to other places in June of 2000. All it
> does is check for return value and adjust the writes accordingly. For reference,
> the patch is at http://stuph.org/esound-audio.c.patch.

Why would esd get a short write() unless it is opening the file in non
blocking mode (which I didn't see when I was working on the i810 sound
driver)? If esd is writing to a file in blocking mode and that write is
returning short, then that sounds like a driver bug to me.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> http://people.redhat.com/dledford
Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before