    SubjectRe: [Re: paging behavior in Linux]
    Neelam Saboo wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > After I installed a newer version of Kernel (2.4.2) and enable DMA option in
    > hardware configuration, the behavior changes.
    > I can see performance improvements when another thread is used. Also, i can
    > see timing overlaps between two threads. i.e. when one thread is blocked on a
    > page fault, other thread keeps working.
    > Now, how can this behavior be explained , given the earlier argument.
    > Is it that, a newer version of kernel has fixed the problem of the semaphore
    > ?

    No, that change won't happen until 2.5

    I can only guess:
    the other thread keeps working until it causes a page fault - with both
    2.4.1 and 2.4.2.

    I haven't followed the threads about the mm changes closely, but I
    assume that the swapout behaviour changed, and that your worker thread
    now runs without causing page faults.

    --
    Manfred