    SubjectRe: changing mm->mmap_sem (was: Re: system call for process information?)
    On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    > Right, I'm not suggesting removing that: making the mmap_sem
    > read/write is fine, but yes, we still need that semaphore.

    Initial patch (against 2.4.2-ac20) is available at

    > But as for the "page faults would use an extra lock to protect against
    > each other" bit --- we already have another lock, the page table lock,
    > which can be used in this way, so ANOTHER lock should be unnecessary.

    Tomorrow I'll take a look at the various ->nopage
    functions and do_swap_page to see if these functions
    would be able to take simultaneous faults at the same
    address (from multiple threads). If not, either we'll
    need to modify these functions, or we could add a (few?)
    extra lock to prevent these functions from faulting at
    the same address at the same time in multiple threads.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.022 / U:2.260 seconds]