SubjectHardware problem detection? Linux 2.4.3-pre4 lockups.
Date

I am at a total loss, But I have found some interesting anomalies with my
hardware.

My Current Setup:
Supermicro S370DE6 (Serverworks Chipset)
Dual PIII 866
2 x 256 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM
onboard AIC 7899 SCSI Controller.
36G,73GB Seagate Cheetah Drive.
Voodoo4 4500 AGP video,
Fore PCA 200e ATM

Problem, I have a program the can read a file(large, or small) it will then
transmit the data over atm, ethernet, localhost,or write to a file.

I have noticed that the machine will consistently crash(hard lockup) when I
do a read loop of the File. It never locks up at the same place, and I have
changed it so that it never actually does anything with the data after it
reads. Still, same result.

Things that have "fixed" the problem. Setting the FSB to 100(jumpered) will
allow me to run forever.
Also, Setting the L1 Cache to Write-through instead of write back will allow
me to run forever at 133, but the performance hit is worse than setting the
FSB to 100.

Another note. When I have attempted to compile the kernel for Uni processor.
I started getting segmentation faults with gcc.
Now this tells me it might be the processor. But I have nothing overclocked,
so I would think that it might be some kind of timing issue in the kernel.

I have two machines set up this way. One is much more stable. But I do
observe the occasional crash.(hard lockup)

I have also seen fsck crash as well. when the system was not shut down
correctly. ( as a hard lockup happens very frequently.)

Here are some things that I have tried, but Have not fixed it.
1) SMP Kernel with "noapic" at lilo prompt ( and without the noapic)
2) Uni Kernel w/ & w/out apic

I am at a total loss.
Is there anything I can do(other than run at 100 FSB)?

Nathan

P.S. I have enclosed the dmesg output for my Uniprocessor kernel
<<dmesg.out.uni>>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.029 / U:0.060 seconds]