    SubjectRe: Is swap == 2 * RAM a permanent thing?
    Ok I understand better now.
    So when we swap in, the place is still reserved in swap for the next time we swap off the same memory part.
    The swap is freed only when the owner terminates.
    Then when we need more memory, we need to swap off but we don't use the duplicated part.
    I understand that it is to avoid fragmentation but this can lead to false OOM situation (false because we have free memory in swap but it's reserved to avoid fragmentation).

    Christophe

    On ven, 16 mar 2001 00:26:35 Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, christophe barbe wrote:
    >
    > > Please Rik, could you explain what you mean with "reclaim swap
    > > space when we run out". In my (limited) understanding, when
    > > there's no more free memory (ram and swap space), the kernel
    > > starts to kill process (and the choice is a difficult point).
    > > Are you proposing to add an API to reclaim swap instead of
    > > killing process ?
    >
    > When we swap something in from swap, it is in effect "duplicated"
    > in memory and swap. Freeing the swap space of these duplicates
    > will mean we have, effectively, more swap space.
    >
    > Rik
    > --
    > Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml
    >
    > Virtual memory is like a game you can't win;
    > However, without VM there's truly nothing to lose...
    >
    > http://www.surriel.com/
    > http://www.conectiva.com/http://distro.conectiva.com/
    >
    > -

    Christophe Barbé
    Software Engineer
    Lineo High Availability Group
    42-46, rue Médéric
    92110 Clichy - France
    phone (33).1.41.40.02.12
    fax (33).1.41.40.02.01
    www.lineo.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.025 / U:1.372 seconds]