SubjectRe: State of RAID (and the infamous FastTrak100 card)
Jakob Østergaard wrote:
> > So... am I just begging for pain if I try to install, say, a stock RH7
> > on a machine with the FastTrak100 doing it's little RAID0/JBOD thing?
> > If it requires this machine to always boot from a floppy because the driver
> > cannot be linked into the kernel, well, I'm okay with that.
>
> I don't know about the state of the FastTrak100 IDE drivers - but if you can
> get that running, putting software RAID on top of that should be a simple
> matter.

I do not think that would work. These IDE RAID use a slightly different layout that someone would
expect. This means that you cannot map it 1:1 to any RAID personality, therefore you cannot boot
from it.

(Free)BSD supports this IDE RAID controller with the RAID functionality. Maybe you want to check it
out.
I want to write a kernel module for 2.4 which supports the HPT370 RAID. You can be sure that I will
peek at the FreeBSD code. In fact that is the only documentation I have.

Wilfried

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.045 / U:0.132 seconds]