SubjectRe: magic device renumbering was -- Re: Linux 2.4.2ac20
Hi,

The solution is not to go down the path2inst road, that is full of
its own traps. You want volume labels via a volume manager (do lvm and raid
already do this?) and/or filesystem labels (see e2fslabel). This won't solve
all of the ills associated with device instance changes, but it will certainly
address the biggest one.

skd