SubjectRe: Microsoft begining to open source Windows 2000?
On 9 Mar 2001, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> And remember that other companies have been doing similar things since
> just about forever. It's not as if MS invented this thing.
> Or maybe I have to take that back. The "must not modify" clause certainly
> seems non-standard.
> AT&T Unix source didn't carry a "must not modify" rider.
> IBM's big iron OS source certainly didn't carry a "must not modify" rider.
> In fact, making modifications was very much the *point* of this excercise.

Indeed, Digital LCG used to publish our bug reports verbatim, including
patches if we supplied 'em, and thank us for the help. (In fact, VMS
Engineering took heat for publishing "sanitized" reports instead of
photocopying the SPR forms as LCG had.)

MS' approach reminds me of what the fellow said about Lotho

Seems he wanted to own everything himself, and then order folk

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
Make a good day.