SubjectRe: Unmounting and ejecting the root fs on shutdown.
Per Erik Stendahl wrote:

> Nah, that looks too easy! ;-)
>
> > This might save everyone some pain:
> > from hdparm(8) man page (mine has some format
> > bugs, but you get the picture)
> >

> Is it true that the root fs is left mounted read-only? What is the
> rationale behind this? It seems to me that it would be better to
> completely unmount it and do whatever cleaning up is required (like
> cdrom_release()?). But I've been known to miss important issues before!
> :-)
>
> BTW, what would be the best way to determine which devices are cdrom
> devices? Looks like /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info could be of use but what
> happens on a computer with more than one cdrom device?

Read about devfs option in 2.4 kernel. it puts only devices that exist
into /dev/cdroms/cdrom0, dev/cdroms/cdrom1, etc.

and if hdparm works (and it must since redhat's installer ejects it's
cd when rebooting) and you still are looking for a solution, well
no comment.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.041 / U:2.840 seconds]