SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Animated framebuffer logo for 2.4.1
On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, christophe barbe wrote:

> Ok it seems not important to have a nice boot process but each time you show a linux machine to a M$ normal user (normal = not a programmer) his first reaction is something like ""what are all these strange output lines?". And it's the first thing that keep Windows user in the dark side.
> Windows hides (or try to do) all messages by a blue screen (light blue, when you are lucky).
>
> For these reason, I use LPP (linux patch progress). It's a little patch. The main idea is : redirect all boot messages on the second console, display on the first one a bigger framebuffer logo (screen size) and draw on it the progress bar, progress text and warning messages. A proc interface is provided for the second part of the boot process (echo "starting X Font Server" > /proc/progress).
>
> The boot is not significantly longer (and with a well fitted kernel, is really faster than M$ Wx) and suddendly the first linux impression is really good.
>
> I hope this kind of patch can be integrated in the kernel.

I hope that nothing like this is _ever_ integrated (and doubt I need
be concerned;). IMHO, hiding output from users arrogantly assumes
that they are too stupid/ignorant to have any use for such information.

-Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.055 / U:0.628 seconds]