    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.1-ac7
    On Thu, Feb 08 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
    > >

    > > 2.4.1-ac7
    > > o Rebalance the 2.4.1 VM (Rik van Riel)
    > > | This should make things feel a lot faster especially
    > > | on small boxes .. feedback to Rik
    > I'd really like feedback from people when it comes to this
    > change. The change /should/ fix most paging performance bugs
    > because it makes kswapd do the right amount of work in order
    > to solve the free memory shortage every time it is run.

    Just installed ac7 and after some 30 minutes of unpacking
    kernel-sources and diffing patches, I left my computer unattended
    for about 1 hour. When I came back the system was unusable (like it
    was frozen), and /var/log/messages just displayed messages of the

    Feb 8 22:54:40 fry kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 455 (xmms).

    The OOM killer killed most of my apps, and finally X. I had to reboot
    in order to get the system back. I've been running ac1-ac6 since they
    came out with no problems, so I guess its the VM hack that is buggy.

    This is on an AMD K7 1200Mhz, 512MB Ram, ATA100. Nothing big was
    running at the time (xchat, xmms, mozilla, gnome, x, a few xterms).

    I'll do some more testing tomorrow and provide any further information
    you might need.

    Torben Mathiasen <>
    Linux ThunderLAN maintainer