SubjectRe: 2.4.2-pre1
On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 01:52:36PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Tom Rini wrote:
> > Er, what exactly is the CONFIG_PREP stuff in this driver supposed to be
> > for? "CONFIG_PREP" doesn't exist anymore to start with, and secondly I'm
> > not sure if any PReP boxes ever shipped with a riva card to start with. The
> > only real way to handle this in 2.4 is something like:
> > #ifdef CONFIG_ALL_PPC /* CHRP/PMAC/PREP */
> > #include <asm/processor.h>
> > #define isPReP (_machine == _MACH_prep)
> > #else
> > #define isPReP 0
> > #endif
> >
> > That is, if there's really any need to test explicitly for a PReP box.
> > I asked Ani Joshi about this a while ago, and he wasn't quite sure why they
> > were in there either..
>
> It looks like it might have come from drivers/video/clgenfb.c, perhaps
> for use with big endian framebuffers?

It is indeed from clgen, but even there it's only needed on the PReP boxes
with a cirrus logic card. The MacPicasso cards (also clgen) need some other
magic (see linux-fbdev).

> If the driver works on PPC without CONFIG_PREP code, let's get rid of
> it.

Well, it's definatly not doing anything now. It probably shouldn't be there
anyways, as in clgen it seems to be for PReP black magic.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/