SubjectRe: [Kiobuf-io-devel] RFC: Kernel mechanism: Compound event wait

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > > We don't even need that, non-blocking is implicitly applied with READA.
> > >
> > READA just returns - I doubt that the aio functions should poll until
> > there are free entries in the request queue.
> The aio functions should NOT use READA/WRITEA. They should just use the
> normal operations, waiting for requests. The things that makes them
> asycnhronous is not waiting for the requests to _complete_. Which you can
> already do, trivially enough.

Reading write(2):

EAGAIN Non-blocking I/O has been selected using O_NONBLOCK and there was
no room in the pipe or socket connected to fd to write the data

I see no reason why "aio function have to block waiting for requests".

_Why_ they do ?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:04    [W:0.133 / U:2.428 seconds]