SubjectRe: NFS stop/start problems (related to datagram shutdown bug?)
On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Neil Brown wrote:

> How repeatable is this? Is the server SMP?

I've tested this on two UP Athlons and 2 SMP Pentium 3's and the same problem
occurred. I have not tested it more than once on the same system (I left the
NFS servers untouched after the reboot).

The Athlon systems running NFS were 2.4.1-ac3 and the Pentiums were running
2.2.19-pre7. All computers exporting the FS had one directory mounted at least
once.

In one case, only 1 directory was mounted once and then unmounted before
shutting off the NFS server. When I realized I forgot to copy a directory over,
I went to restart NFS on the server and found out I was unable to. Probably
irrelevant, but this had been after transferring 7 gigs of data over 100 Mbps.

I still have the 'broken' server running, so if you would like me to run a
command or two on it I can show you the results.

> The attached patch might fix it, so if you are having reproducable
> problems, it might be worth applying this patch.

I can try it tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem, but since this problem
also occurred on a UP, using spin locks probably will not correct it. Perhaps
it's something else.

> [patch snipped]

-Byron

--