    SubjectRe: OK to mount multiple FS in one dir?

    [Michael D. Crawford]
    > I found I could mount three partitions on /mnt

    Yes. New feature, appeared in the 2.4.0test series, or shortly before.

    > and they'd all show up as mounted at /mnt in the "mount" command, but
    > if I unmounted one of them (only tried with the currently visible
    > one), then it appeared that there were no filesystems mounted there,
    > but I could continue umounting until the other two were gone.

    util-linux gets rather confused by this feature. They say newer
    versions fix this.

    > But I had the 2.10r util-linux sources on my machine and installed
    > mount and umount from it, and I find that it gets it right mostly
    > when I mount and unmount multiple things, with the exception that if
    > /dev/sda5 was mounted before /dev/sda1, then if I give the command
    > "umount /dev/sda5", sda1 is the one that gets unmounted rather than
    > sda5, so it takes the most recently mounted filesystem rather than
    > the one you specify.

    I think this is a kernel limitation. 'umount' takes '/dev/sda5' and
    turns it into '/mnt/test' and calls umount("/mnt/test"). The kernel
    then unmounts whatever is on "top" of /mnt/test.

    I don't think there's anything umount can do about this behavior.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.020 / U:4.360 seconds]