SubjectRe: VIA silent disk corruption - likely fix
Peter Horton wrote:

> I've found the cause of silent disk corruption on my A7V motherboard,
> and it might affect all boards with the same North bridge (KT133 etc).
>
> For some reason the IDE controller(s) was sometimes picking up stale
> data during bus master DMA to the drive. Assuming that there was no bug
> in the CPU it had to be the North bridge that was caching the stuff when
> it shouldn't have been. I assume the problem would also apply to other
> bus masters (SCSI, NIC etc).

Do you have a small test program to illustrate that bug? I have an A7V
with PCI Master Read Caching enabled and haven't seen any corruption so
far (which doesn't necessarily mean much). Or if you don't have a test
program, how did you identify it's caching too much?
Also, are you using a Thunderbird or a Duron?

I'm using the 1003 Bios, which has proven to be the most stable so far.
Which one do you use?

-Udo.

P.S. I seem to recall that later Bios Versions (>=1004) disable Master
Read Caching by default, so maybe Asus has also noticed something
wrong with it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:57    [W:0.801 / U:0.004 seconds]