SubjectRe: [reiserfs-list] ReiserFS Oops (2.4.1, deterministic, symlink related)
Date
Brian Wolfe writes:

> I hate to say it but I think Hans might have the right answer here.
> As an administrator that has worked in large multi hundred million
> dollar companies where 1 hour of downtime == $75,000 in lost income
> From the debate raging here is what I gathered is acceptable....
>
> make it blow up fataly and immediatly if it detects Red Hat +
> gcc 2.96-red_hat_broken(forgot version num) make it provide a URL
> to get the patch to remove this safeguard if you really want this.
>
> The fatal crash should be VERY carefull to only trigger on a redhat
> system with the broken compiler. And to satisfy your agument that
> people may need to be able to use it, provide a reverse patch to
> remove this safeguard in one easy cat file | patch.

There is another way: directly test for the bug.

In an __init function, have some code that will trigger the bug.
This can be used to disable Reiserfs if the compiler was bad.
Then the admin gets a printk() and the Reiserfs mount fails.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:55    [W:0.179 / U:0.060 seconds]