    SubjectRe: System unresponsitive when copying HD/HD
    I've noticed less responsive disk response on 2.4.0 vs. 2.2.17.  For example --
    I run vmware and suspend it frequently when I'm not using it. One of them requires
    a 158Mb save file. Before, I could suspend that one, then start another which
    reads in a smaller 50M save file. The smaller one would come up while the other
    was still saving. As of 2.4, the smaller one doesn't come up -- I can't even do
    an 'ls' until the big save finishes.

    Now big image program has actually exited and I can close the window -- the disk
    writes are going on from the disk cache with 'kupdate' taking some minor fraction (<1%)
    of the CPU and the rest of the system being mostly idle.

    If I have vmstat running, I notice blocks trickling out to the disk, 5sec averages
    495,142,151,155,136,257,15,0. Note that the maximum read rate (hdparm -t) of this
    disk is in the 12-14M/s range. I'm getting about 1-5% of that on output with the
    system's disk subsystem being apparently unable to do anything else.

    This is with IDE hard disk with DMA enabled.

    a) is this expected performance on a large linear write?
    b) should I expect other disk operations to be denied service as long as
    the write is 'flushing'?

    -l

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.023 / U:0.076 seconds]