    SubjectRe: DFE-530TX with no mac address
    >The attached patch for the via-daig program plays with a few registers.
    >
    >Run it as 'via-diag -aaeemm -I' then do a 'ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig
    >eth0 up' and see if anything happens.

    OK, after a little trouble applying the patch, here's what I found:

    Starting with the card in working condition, I tried "via-diag -aaeemm -I"
    and there was no change in functionality. Running the ifconfig toggle also
    had no overall effect. Then I tried "via-diag -aaeemm -i" (running a
    pinger in another console) and noted that the pinger stopped working when
    the command was run. However, running "via-diag -aaeemm -I" did not change
    that situation. The ifconfig toggle did correctly restart operation.

    Examining the system log after the above showed that at some point during
    the sequence the kernel emitted a series of "transmit timed out" log-entry
    pairs as shown in my last mail. Also, I noticed that while running -i the
    receive status was listed as "unicast/hashed multicast" and while running
    -I the receive status was "unknown/invalid".

    Do you want me to try this again, after first setting the card into
    non-working condition?

    from: Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
    mail: chromi@cyberspace.org (not for attachments)
    big-mail: chromatix@penguinpowered.com
    uni-mail: j.d.morton@lancaster.ac.uk

    Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.024 / U:30.032 seconds]