SubjectRe: [patch] tmpfs for 2.4.1
"J . A . Magallon" <jamagallon@able.es> writes:

> I did not get the chance to deal too much with it, but apart from moving
> functionality from userspace (ipcs) to kernel (ls), what were/could be the
> benefits of /dev/shm ?. Can you create a shared memory segment by simply
> creating a file there, or it is just a picture of what is in kernelspace?.

The most appealing thing to me was rm -f /dev/shm/.IPC* :-) So I
should make a patch to ipcrm to allow multiple segments (and
wildcards?).

You could not create SYSV shm segments with open, but you could delete
them with rm and list the with ls.

> First time I saw that I thought: what could happen if /dev/shm is shared
> in a cluster ? or, lets suppose that /dev/shm is a logical volume made by
> addition of some nfs mounted volumes, one of each node, so one piece of
> the shm fs is local and other remote...kinda DSM/NUMA...?

No, this was never possible. It was only a fs interface to local
kernel objects (and still is).

> (just too much marijuana late at night...)

Oh, you are allowed to dream ;-)

Greetings
Christoph

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.630 / U:0.036 seconds]