    SubjectRe: [reiserfs-list] Re: VM brokenness, possibly related to reiserfs
    Chris Mason wrote:

    > On Thursday, February 01, 2001 02:16:43 PM -0200 Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:
    >
    >> About the system hanging completely, I wonder if it goes
    >> away by pressing sysrq-S (sync all disks). If it does,
    >> maybe Reiserfs was blocking all the pages in the inactive
    >> list from being written because one of the active pages
    >> (not a replacement candidate) needed to be written out
    >> first? Or does the Reiserfs ->writepage() function handle
    >> this?

    In answer to Rik's question, no, sysrq-S doesn't fix it. The sound of
    the disk grind changes momentarily then it resumes.

    > In most cases, the reiserfs writepage func is the same as block_write_full_page. The only difference should come when a packed tail has been mmap'd.
    >
    > Since JOURNAL_MAX_BATCH was at 100, the log should have only pinned 400k. More blocks could be pinned, but kreiserfsd should be in the process of flushing those.
    >
    > I've been trying out a few things to send memory pressure down to reiserfs, but they have mostly been based on the code to make fs/buffer.c use writepage for flushing. I should have done something simple first, I'll start on that now.
    >
    > -chris

    http://stuph.org/VM/ is back up, no thanks to the network solutions.
    The files listed there have all the relevant backtraces.

    -d

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:53    [W:0.024 / U:0.740 seconds]