SubjectRe: Dynamically altering code segments
Date
Tom Collins writes:
> I am wanting to dynamically modify the kernel in specific places to
> implement a custom kernel trace mechanism. The general idea is that,
> when the "trace" is off, there are NOP instruction sequences at various
> places in the kernel. When the "trace" is turned on, those same NOPs
> are replaced by JMPs to code that implements the trace (such as logging
> events, using the MSR and PMC's etc..).
>
> This was a trick that was done in my old days of OS/2 performance tools
> developement to get trace information from the running kernel.
>
> Is it possible to do the same thing in Linux?

See IBM "dprobes" project. It is basically what you are describing
(AFAIK). It makes sense, because a lot of the OS/2 folks are now working
on Linux.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"