    SubjectRe: 2.2.18/ext2: special file corruption?
    Ulrich Windl writes:
    > I had an interesting effect: Due to NVdriver I had a lot of system
    > freezes, and I had to reboot. Using e2fsck 1.19a (SuSE 7.1) I got the
    > message that one specific "Special (device/socket/fifo) inode .. has
    > non-zero size. FIXED."
    > Interestingly I got the message for every reboot. So either the kernel
    > corrupts the very same inode every time, or e2fsck does not really fix
    > it, or the error simply doesn't exist. I think the kernel doesn't
    > temporarily set the size to non-zero, so this seems strange.

    It is strange that it thinks ".." is a special inode. Maybe e2fsck is
    fixing the wrong problem (i.e. truncating the directory ".."), and it
    later fixes the zero-length directory... Could you try two things:

    1) unmount the filesystem and run e2fsck on the broken filesystem 1 or 2
    times, to see if e2fsck is fixing the problem or not.

    2) If it is fixing the problem you need to wait until the next time you have
    a system crash, start in single user mode. If it is NOT fixing the problem
    you can do this right away. Run "e2fsck -n" to see which inode number is
    corrupt (the -n option means e2fsck will not fix the filesystem), and then
    run "debugfs /dev/X", type "dump <inode_number>" and "ncheck inode_number"
    at the prompt (note you NEED the <> around the inode number for dump).
    Send the output.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.020 / U:69.792 seconds]