    SubjectRe: 242-ac3 loop bug

    --- Doug McNaught <doug@wireboard.com> wrote:
    > Mark Swanson <swansma@yahoo.com> writes:
    >
    > > > ps -aux | grep loop
    > > 1674 tty1 DW< 0:00 [loop0]
    > >
    > > The system is doing nothing to the loop filesystem.
    > > Strange that the process isn't logging any cpu usage time. It's
    > > definately responsible for the 1.00 load.
    >
    > It's just an artifact of the fact that processes in state D
    > (uninterruptible sleep) are included in the load average calculation.
    > Since the loop thread apparently sits in state D waiting for events
    > on its device, you get a load average of 1 for each mounted loop
    > device.

    My thought was that the calculation seems to be misleading. The loop
    process isn't taking up any CPU time. My applications are running
    faster than ever. I'm guessing that ps (and /proc/loadavg) need to make
    the distinction between:
    1. uninterruptable sleep - where the process is blocking but taking
    0CPU
    2. uninterruptable sleep - I/O is happening using CPU

    But I may not understand what uninterruptable sleep is supposed to
    mean.

    Take sendmail for example. Its default configuration for Linux won't
    send attachments if the machine's load is too high. If I have 8 loop
    devices in use and the load is at least 8, this may affect how sendmail
    operates.