    SubjectRe: 2.4 tcp very slow under certain circumstances (Re: netdev issues (3c905B))
    Hi Jordan,

    > > > We have exactly the same problem but in our case it depends on the
    > > > following three conditions: 1, kernel 2.4 (2.2 is fine), 2, windows ip
    > > > header compression turned on, 3, a free internet access provider in
    > > > Holland called 'Wish' (which seemes to stand for 'I Wish I had a faster
    > > > connection').
    > > > If we remove one of the three conditions, the connection is oke. It is
    > > > only tcp which is affected.
    > > > A packet on its way from linux server to windows client seems to get
    > > > dropped once and retransmitted. This makes the connection _very_ slow.
    > >
    > > :-( I hate these buggy systems.
    > >
    > > Does this patch below fix the performance problem and are the windows
    > > clients win2000 or win95?
    > I wanted to see if this would fix the problem I was seeing with Win9x
    > users on PPP w/ compression dialing up to Earthlink in the bay area
    > (there are others, but it's the only one I can reproduce).
    > I compiled 2.4.1 with this change and for some odd reason, the kernel
    > started dropping packets and became unusable (couldn't ssh in) after
    > around 4050 connections were opened. I tested it also with 2.4.1-ac20
    > and had the same problem right around 4050 connections.
    > This is on a VA Linux box with dual eepro100's (one used) connected to a
    > Cisco 6509.

    I patched two computers, 2.4.1-ac20. One of them is a fairly loaded
    webserver. Both have an uptime of 15.15 and 16.30 hours, and are fine.
    Didn't test with that much connections though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.027 / U:1.476 seconds]