    SubjectRe: Reiserfs, 3 Raid1 arrays, 2.4.1 machine locks up
    Tom Sightler wrote:

    > the
    > > >
    > > > Hmm, raid as a module was always a Bad Idea(tm) in the 2.2 "alpha"
    > > > raid (which was misnamed and is 2.4 raid). I suggest you change that
    > > > and update, as I had no problems with 2.4.2-pre2/3, nor have any been
    > > > posted to the raid list.
    > >
    > > I just tried with 2.4.1-ac14, raid and raid1 compiled in and it did the
    > > same thing. I'm going to try to compile reiserfs in (if I have enough
    > room
    > > to still fit the kernel on the floppy with it's initial ramdisk, etc.)
    > and
    > > see what that does.
    > There seem to be several reports of reiserfs falling over when memory is
    > low. It seems to be undetermined if this problem is actually reiserfs or MM
    > related, but there are other threads on this list regarding similar issues.
    > This would explain why the same disk would work on a different machine with
    > more memory. Any chance you could add memory to the box temporarily just to
    > see if it helps, this may help prove if this is the problem or not.
    > Later,
    > Tom

    Out of all the old 72 pin simms we have, we have it maxed out at 48 MB's. I'm
    tempted to take the 2 drives out and put them in the k6-2, but that's too much
    of a hassle. I'm currently going to try 2.4.1-ac19 and see what happens.

    The machine does have 128MB of swap space working, and whenever I've checked
    memory usage (while the system was still responding), it never went over a
    couple megs of swap space used.

    James A. Pattie

    Linux -- SysAdmin / Programmer
    PC & Web Xperience, Inc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.025 / U:15.908 seconds]