SubjectRe: sendfile+zerocopy: fairly sexy (nothing to do with ECN)

David Lang writes:
> right, assuming that there is enough sendfile() benifit to overcome the
> write() penalty from the stuff that can't be cached or sent from a file.
>
> my question was basicly are there enough places where sendfile would
> actually be used to make it a net gain.

There are non-performance issues as well (really, all of these points
have been mentioned in this thread btw). One is that since paged
SKBs use only single-order page allocations, the memory allocation
subsystem is stressed less than the current scheme where SLAB
allocates multi-order pages to satisfy allocations of linear SKB data
buffers.

This has consequences and benefits system wide.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.037 / U:8.816 seconds]