    SubjectRe: ReiserFS Oops (2.4.1, deterministic, symlink related)
    Date
    Ion Badulescu <ionut@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

    > On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
    >
    > > Oh I can see why Hans wants to cut down his bug reporting load. I can also
    > > say from experience it wont work. If you put #error in then everyone will
    > > mail him and complain it doesnt build, if you put #warning in nobody will
    > > read it and if you dont put anything in you get the odd bug report anyway.
    > >
    > > Basically you can't win and unfortunately a shrink wrap forcing the user
    > > to read the README file for the kernel violates the GPL ..
    >
    > Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully understand that it's a lose-lose
    > situation. All I'm saying is that it was an incredibly bad idea to have
    > two compilers, one broken and one ok, identify themselves as the same
    > version.

    unfortunately, it's not limited to redhat and it's not limited to
    redhat's gcc-2.96. gcc-2.95.2 has some bugs (a certain strength
    reduction bug comes to mind). no new official gcc has come for over a
    year. many distributions have applied a patch to fix the strength
    reduction bug. do they all alter their version number? of those that
    do, do they alter it consistently?

    --
    J o h a n K u l l s t a m
    [kullstam@ne.mediaone.net]